Monday, May 9, 2011

MY TRIP TO TEXAS JULY 15-20, 2003 AS A DELEGATE TO STEWARDSHIP TRAINING

My Trip To Texas July 15-20, 2003

By Amado I. Yoro


Introduction:
As a member of the Commission on Stewardship of the Diocese of Hawaii, I am one of the 3 delegates from the Commission being Mary Schultz, Charlotte Holmes and myself, to the “Inventing the Wheel 2003” at the Camp Allen, Navasota, Texas.

This is the continuation of my training last year in Washington DC.

My departure:
Hurricane Claudette is posted in Texas

July 15, 2003 Tuesday. At 12:15 pm, Cheryl Lei dropped me off to the airport. American Airlines counter.
I said “be safe and careful” to Lei, and we parted.

By 12:45 pm, I already checked in my baggage. My Flight is #8. Boarding time at 4:05 Group 4 Seat 26A.

While I was at the waiting area, I read a book: “How To Mobilize Church Volunteers” by Marlene Wilson. With interest, I found out the there is no need to be perfect in terms of leadership. If someone tries to be perfect, then, he/she is a fool. “as a perfectionist, you are your own problem, a worst enemy (page 94) and you probably you are not much fun to work with either.

William James once observed that the art of being wise is knowing to overlook. Perhaps other people might even do better job than you do, then you can learn from them instead from you (page 85)

About 3:35 pm, Mary Schultz and Charlotte Holmes arrived.

By 3:50pm, “Attention passengers to Dallas, Texas, form a line now and you will be called by groupings, Gate 20”


From George Bush InterContinental Airport, Houston, Mr. John Cogan picked us up by a Van, and drove us to Camp Allen. According to him, it took about 1 hr and 30 minutes drive, in about 80 miles away.

I took a nap while riding towards the Camp Allen. When I opened my eyes after so many minutes, it is now the Camp Allen entrance as shown by the corner of the intersection. And a few more minutes, we are now entering the camp, green with towering pine trees.

A minute more, then, I was able to see the buildings, then, stop, then, to the Registrtion desk. Sign up a card now 10 am July 16 Texas time (5am Hawaii time). Two people greeted us and they are Terry Parson and Mike Burke. I was assigned to an H23 room.

I proceeded to the room It has 2 beds. I tried to call back home but my cellphone did not work. I made a coffee. I took a bath/shower. I took a nap.

I went to eat. Met Frank Embree from Hawaii and Terry Parson. I went to the All Saint’s Chapel. It was a big, huge, spacious facility. According to brochures, the chapel has more than 700 seats. I pray.

Dinner time: I stayed on the same table with Bill Wrenn, Susan Brown, both from North Carolina Diocese, Rev. Michael Burke, Alaska.

Inusarko ti Internet. And I called home. I talked to my daughter Cheryl Lei, and I found that my wife Gloria has just got home from her graduation ceremony received her CNA certificate.

======0000=====




As I am by myself in my room

Camp Allen H23

Daniw

Hulio 17, 2003
11:00 pm

Dagiti berde ken manglangit nga aruo
Ta sigkat ti langit
Ngem adda met tudo
Ken ti gurruod
Daytoy adayo iti sibilisasion

Nakitak manen ti Baguio
Kenka dagiti aldaw
Ti panagbaniaga ti biag

Nakitak manen ti pikkan
Kenka, adda met dagiti kabakiran
Iti sidiran ti Sta. Romana

Nakalma a tengngat rabii
Dagiti matmaturog manen
A bulong, nupay ti init awan
Ita nga oras, ti bulan ket sikukumot
Ngem adda Dios, adda anghel
Ken ti talna, adda a mangnibinibi
Iti saklot ti kaltaang
Daytoy a panagmaymaysa.

====000===

DIFFERENT ACTIVITIES IN THE TRAINING SESSIONS


Apple Tree - In Abundance of Gifts

Pruning, trimming, prioritize

Find a partner

Gospel Based Discipleship: Group of 5

Asian including Filipinos are good giver

I participated in the Gospel reading

Dramatized selected part of the Bible

What God ask you to do

No comments:

Post a Comment